I’ve been trying to make some difficult decisions lately… decisions mainly about how to spend my time. When it comes to spending time outside my work at home, I tend to overcommit. My eyes are bigger than my stomach, so to speak. I tend to think something sounds like a great opportunity, only to discover later that it is a distraction from what God has called me to do. In her book on the verses addressed to women in Titus 2, Carolyn Mahaney suggests these helpful questions for women trying to make tough decisions (a few apply only to married women):
1. What are my reasons for considering this opportunity? Are they selfish or God-honoring?
2. Will pursuing this venture glorify God and honor the gospel?
3. Is this an undertaking that will help my husband?
4. Will it enhance and enrich the lives of my family?
5. Does this endeavor hinder my role as caretaker of my home?
I’m finding these questions helpful and incredibly clarifying right now. Freeing, even. If you’re facing a tough decision, I hope they bring clarity to you as well.